top of page

The Pfister Hotel, Milwaukee, 1908

The Pfister Hotel is a luxury hotel in Milwaukee. The vision of businessman Guido Pfister and his son, Charles, the Pfister was dubbed the "Grand Hotel of the West" when it opened in 1893. Built for the then extravagant sum of $1 million, it included features uncommon to hotels at the time including fireproofing (thus the claim "Absolutely Fire Proof"), electricity, and thermostat controls in every room. In 1962, the Pfister was purchased and renovated by theatre operator Ben Marcus. Also in the 1960s, a 23-story guest room tower was added to the property. Collected by Guido and Charles Pfister, the hotel houses the largest Victorian art collection of any hotel in the world.


This advertising cover for the Pfister was postmarked in Milwaukee on March 24, 1908 (Figure 1). It arrived at its destination of Columbus, Ohio on March 25, 1908 (Figure 2). The 2-cent postage rate was paid by affixing a stamp depicting George Washington issued in 1903. In the US Scott Catalog, it is stamp #319.


There is no indication who sent the cover. The recipient was "Mrs. A.B. Edgar" care of "Mrs. Philip S. Brindle"


Mrs. Brindle was Elizabeth (nee Patton) Brindle. She was born in Buena Vista, Ohio in 1850 and passed away at age 80 in 1931. She is buried at Sugar Grove Cemetery in Wilmington, Ohio. Her husband Philip predeceased her by 21 years and is also buried at Sugar Grove Cemetery. Based on census data, Elizabeth did not have a job outside the home. She and Philip had one son.


I have not been able to identify "Mrs. A.B. Edgar," but she might have been related to the Brindle's through marriage. Philip had a sister by the name of Mary Brindle who married a George Mason Edgar. The couple had five children, including two sons although neither had a first name beginning with "A."

Figure 1 - Front

Figure 2 - Back

7 views0 comments

Comments


Post: Blog2 Post
bottom of page